[Mailman-Users] Real or Fake Mailman message?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 19 23:58:42 CET 2010

Drew Tenenholz wrote:

>Is the following message a REAL mailman message?  I'm leaning towards
>yes, but then I'm going to know what to do about it....

Yes it is. It is based on the nomoretoday.txt template and it is sent
when some kind of autoresponse would have been sent, but we've already
sent MAX_AUTORESPONSES_PER_DAY to that user in this day.

Autoresponses are things like 'your post is held' notifications and all
the messages configured in the Auto-responder Section of the admin
interface.

>It seems to be coming from a testing list that I use only rarely, and
>haven't touched in a long time.  The message is pretty much coming
>daily now.  I'm the only subscriber/owner/moderator though, and there
>is nothing the moderation queue.  I can't find anything with this
>subject line in the wiki.
>
>-- Drew Tenenholz
>
>At 3:15 PM -0500 3/12/10, mailman-owner at myserver.org wrote:
>>Subject: Last autoresponse notification for today
>>From: mailman-owner at myserver.org
>>To: mailman-bounces at myserver.org
>>Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 21:37:52 -0500
>>Sender: mailman-loop at myserver.org
>>
>>We have received a message from your address
>>`mailman-bounces at promed.isid.org' requesting an automated response
>>messages from you today.  In order to avoid problems such as mail
>>loops between email robots, we will not be sending you any further
>>email responses today.  Please try again tomorrow.
>>
>>If you believe this message is in error, or if you have any questions,
>>please contact the list owner at mailman-owner at promed.isid.org.

I think you have an address loop somewhere in the configuration of your
mailman at promed.isid.org site list. That is the list that is involved.
Or, possibly it's an undeliverable address in owner or moderator of
that list.

If 'myserver.org' is not 'promed.isid.org', then check the host_name on
the General Options page of the mailman list, and if it's not
'promed.isid.org', then the message may originate on another server.
Look at the Received: headers.