[Mailman-Users] migrated lists getting firefox error, and new name not original list name

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 15 04:11:36 CET 2010

Troy Campbell wrote:

>I just migrated some lists from a server called
>mailman.rmtc.fedex.com to a new server called
>mailman2.rmtc.fedex.com (both running
>2.1.9) and configuring things to try to keep the
>lists the original @mailman.rmtc.fedex.com name
>and I'm running into two issues.
>
>First I've started getting the following error in firefox
>on Mailman pages where I try to add a user or create
>a list using the web pages:
>
>"Although this page is encrypted, the information you have entered is to be sent over an unencrypted connection and could easily be read by a third party.  Are you sure you want to continue sending this information?"

Do you intend to be using SSL and https URLs. If so, see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/7oA9>. You need an https scheme in
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN when you run fix_url.

>Then when I hit "Continue" nothing happens, it's
>like I hit "Cancel".  The workaround is to use the
>command line to do the function (such as add a member).

The post URLs on the web interface probably still point to the old
server because you haven't updated the web_page_url attributes of the
moved lists with fix_url.

>I modified this in mm_cfg.py on mailman2 (after
>migrating) to:
>
>fqdn = 'mailman.rmtc.fedex.com'
>
>so as to have everything stay
>@mailman.rmtc.fedex.com in the name.
>
>Also I'm rewriting http to https URLs however I was
>doing that on the original server and not getting this
>error.

It depends how you do it. See the above referenced FAQ and also the FAQ
at <http://wiki.list.org/x/ioA9>.

>After creating a newlist I see this:
>
># withlist -l troytest
>The variable `m' is the troytest MailList instance
>'troytest-admin at mailman.rmtc.fedex.com'
>'troytest at mailman.rmtc.fedex.com'
>
>which seems to be what I want (not mailman2...).
>
>I was going to try running the withlist...fix_url command
>on all the lists I brought over but thought I should wait/see
>as the issue seems to be related more to the "fqdn"
>not taking effect?

That's what fix_url is for. See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/mIA9>.

>Secondly when I send an email using a test list I also get
>@mailman2.rmtc.fedex.com as the email address rather
>than @mailman.rmtc.fedex.com?

Get it where? If you mean in things like the List-* headers and the
Sender:, fix_url will fix that too if DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and
DEFAULT_URL_HOST are properly set or you can just change a list's
host_name on General Options.