[Mailman-Users] Remove / Strip Sender Signature Question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 13 04:56:10 CET 2010

Artabase wrote:

>I searched archives and checked faq but couldn't find this, apologies if
>I'm keyword 'tarded this morning.
>
>Is it possible to strip the Sender Signature?

What is the sender signature?

>Our lists are subscribed to some other lists, and we're having problems
>with members unsubscribing us from those lists instead of unsubbing from
>ours.

Do you mean that your list is subscribed to some other list, and the
other list adds a footer similar to the following:

and then members of your list see that footer, follow the Unsubscribe
link, request unsubscription, and then receive the confirmation (sent
to your list) and confirm the unsubscribe?

If that's what you mean, you have a couple of choices. Mailman has no
facility for removing that footer from the post to your list, but you
can add your own footer with a message something like

DO NOT USE THE ABOVE LINK TO UNSUBSCRIBE!
to yourlist-unsubscribe at yourdomain.

Or you could add header_filter_rules to your list with regexps like

^subject:\s*confirm [0-9a-f]{32}\s*$
^from:.*-confirm\+[0-9a-f]{32}@

and an action of Discard to prevent the confirmations from reaching
your list.

Of course someone with intent to unsubscribe your list from the remote
list could always request a password reminder from the remote list
which would be posted to your list, and then use the password to
unsubscribe without confirmation.

You could add

to the regexps above to stop the password reminders too.

If the above is not the scenario that you are encountering, then please
be more specific about exactly what it is.