[Mailman-Users] Messages not departing

Dennis Carr dennisthetiger at chez-vrolet.net
Fri Mar 12 22:37:32 CET 2010

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:01:58 -0800
Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> Dennis Carr wrote:
>
> >I have a number of messages stuck between qfiles/retry and
> >qfiles/out, and for about a week or so, messages have been departing
> >very sporadically.
> >
> >Checking logs/error, I noticed a glitch in parser.py, which I stuck
> >up on a pastebin, here:
> >
> >http://pastebin.ca/1835827
>

> That has nothing to do with outgoing mail in out/ or retry/. It is a
> message that had defective MIME structure as indicated. It was
> possibly truncated somewhere along the delivery path to Mailman, but
> more likely was just spam with a defective MIME structure. It was
> queued in qfiles/in/ by the MTA and the exception occurred when
> IncomingRunner picked it up from the in/ queue and tried to parse it
> into an email.Message.Message instance for processing.
>
> As it says, that message was ignored.
>

> As far as the retries and slow delivery are concerned, look at
> Mailman's smtp-failure log for the reason the messages are queued for
> retry.

OK, here's what I found:

Mar 12 10:08:11 2010 (31200) delivery to xelloss at slayers.org failed
with code 45 0: 4.1.2 <xxx at slayers.org>: Recipient address
rejected: Domain not found

I've found similar messages with xxx at fanfic.net at the end.  Certainly
mailman should be running these as bounces?

Moreover, I should note that many of the users are not getting
messages, and in logs/smtp, I see messages such as this:

Mar 12 13:32:35 2010 (31200)
<905831dc1003100904u3451a9b7kbc405d64f96d9b39 at mail.gmail.com> smtp to
ffml for 2 recips, completed in 60.504 seconds

(Note that this is normally right around 1,000 recips.)

Semi-related message from logs/post:

Mar 12 13:35:37 2010 (31200) post to ffml from
dennisthetiger at chez-vrolet.net, size=1444,
message-id=<Pine.LNX.4.64.1003121020550.31541 at kimba.chez-vrolet.net>, 2
failures

In short, what's up, and how to fix this?

-Dennis