[Mailman-Users] Permission Denied errors

Beyer, Clay clay.beyer at nkadd.org
Thu Mar 4 22:18:30 CET 2010

Beyer, Clay

>>IOErro: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
>>'/var/lib/mailman/locks/gate_news.lock.NKADDWEB.4363.0'

>Presumably this is from the emailed output of cron/gate_news which runs
>every 5 minutes and mails you this message.

>Was there a traceback. It would say exactly what was being attempted
>that there was not permission for.

>The problem is the user the cron runs as does not have permission to
>create the file or create a hard link to it.

>This could be permissions or SELinux or some other security policy
>manager.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/var/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 284, in <module> main()
File "/var/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 259, in main
lock.lock(timeout=0.5)
File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 243, in lock
self.__write()
File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 422, in __write fp =
open(self.__tmpfname, 'w')

IOError: [Error 13] Permission denied:
'/var/lib/mailman/locks/gate_news.lock.NKADDWEB.4363.0'

That is the traceback.

>Some additional info...
>
>/var/lib/mailman/locks is a symlink to /var/lock/mailman which has
>uid:gid of root:lists

>and are the permissions on /var/lock/mailman drwxrwsr-w check_perms may
>have trouble because it gets confused by symlinks, but presumably
>they're OK or Mailman would be completely broken.

>So I'm guessing it's the cron user or a security policy manager.

The permissions of /var/lock/mailman are as you stated.

How do I make the cron user (im too much of a newbie for this to be a
policy manager ;)) able to write to the directory, I'm not very fluent
messing with users, yet...

Thanks,
ClayB