[Mailman-Users] Disabling list archiving

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Mar 3 18:13:47 CET 2010

Geoff Shang wrote:

>We've got an archive taking up a fair amount of space, but much of the
>traffic on that list is transient and doesn't need to be archived.  So
>we've decided to stop archiving it and to remove existing archives.
>
>Apart from turning off archiving in the list configuration and removing
>the public and private archive directories, is there anything else I need
>to do?

No, but I would set the archive up like a new list with no messages.

I.e. remove the archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox file, but
keep the archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/ directory, and remove
everything from the archives/private/LISTNAME/ directory and add a
archives/private/LISTNAME/index.html file with a page that says the
list doesn't archive.

Leave the archives/public/LISTNAME* symlink(s) alone.

This is because there is code which is executed every time a list
object is saved which checks whether the list's archive is private or
public and removes or creates the archives/public/LISTNAME* symlink(s)
accordingly. This code executes even if archiving is turned off for a
list. It only doesn't execute if archiving is disabled for the site
with

ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX = -1

in mm_cfg.py.