[Mailman-Users] one-click subscription

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 1 19:34:20 CET 2010

David Newman wrote:

>For a read-only announcement list, I'm looking for a way to set up
>"one-click subscription" where a user enters an email in a form on a web
>page and gets subscribed right away, with no confirmation needed.

This is not a good idea. It allows anyone to subscribe anyone else to
your list without the subscribed person's knowledge or consent. Do you
really want to do this?

If you do, there are two ways.

You can set

ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE = Yes

in mm_cfg.py and then set the list's Privacy options... -> Subscription
rules -> subscribe_policy to None, and create your subscribe form per
the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/hIA9>.

Or, you can create a web page that either invokes curl or wget or posts
it's own data to the admin CGI as outlined in posts linked from the
FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/uIA9>.

However, if what you want is for people to be able to subscribe without
further interaction on their part, you might consider just setting
subscribe_policy to Approve and having subscriptions approved by an
admin or moderator. This isn't much better, but at least it allows the
admin to detect a suspicious pattern.