[Mailman-Users] Bounce Processing and User Notifications

Ian Prietz ian at fdlrstech.com
Wed Jun 30 16:42:27 CEST 2010

Hi all,

We have a Mailman service that is hosted. I previously asked a question re: Bounce notifications. Mark indirectly suggested that I change my bounce processing score to <=1. I think what I am going to do for initial testing is set the bounce score to .5. That way I will be notified of pretty much any instance that something comes up.

Then after kinks get worked out, I can raise it to 1, so then I am only notified of hard bounces.

1. Does that sound like a good idea or a good place to start?

2. Would a hard bounce be something from a server like "Undeliverable due to File Attachment Limit exceeded" or "Unknown User"?

3. What type of bounce would a "Too many recipients as this time" or "Delivery Delay" messages be? Soft or Hard?

4. Is there a way to keep a subscriber from being notified when their account is disabled? Like should I set the Membership Disabled message to 0 so they are just removed and I am notified that way? I am trying to do as much behind the scenes without them being notified and worrying about what happened.

5. How can I simulate a bounce to test this out. I tried adding a bogus email address from our domain to the list, and it seemed to make delivery to the other recipients take longer, and I don't remember that email address' bounce score raising any higher. I at least expected to get a "User does not exist" message.

As I said before, I want to be notified of any problems to begin with to see if I need to contact any administrators in case our domain is blocked. And then, once these kinks have been worked out, I would like to just receive FAILURES or ERRORS.

Ian