[Mailman-Users] some users recive email but they can't send

Steff Watkins s.watkins at nhm.ac.uk
Wed Jun 30 15:25:17 CEST 2010

Behalf Of
> Daniel Hernandez
> Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:14 PM
> To: mailman-users at python.org
> Subject: [Mailman-Users] some users recive email but they can't send
>

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with a user of a list that I create. She receive all
> the list emails but she can't send emails. She recive this error
> response:
>
> Remote host said: 554 <chile-datos at mail.degu.cl>: Relay access denied
>
> I think that is strange because other users have no problems sending
> emails to the list.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Daniel H.

As Mark Sapiro will probably say "This is not a mailman problem!" (or
something like that).

Looking at the error message I'm guessing that your MTA is postfix. Is
that right?

You have not said whether other users in the degu.cl domain can send
email to the mailing lists managed by your mailman installation. If so,
have you checked to see what transmission path they are using?

The long and the short of it is that your mail transport agent (MTA) is
configured to only aloow emails from certain domains. That's flagged up
by the "Relay access denied" error message. If your mail server daemon
is not allowed to receive emails from the domain it will not forward
them, no relaying. It's a way of cutting down on your MTA being used as
a spam relay (which is good!).

You may want to look in your /etc/postfix/filtered_domains file to see
if the IP address of the sending host (mail.degu.cl) is in there and so
is "allowed" to connect to your mailman host's mailer daemon.

Failing that maybe the remote client should be setup to send emails to
recognised mail gateway systems rather than trying to connect directly
to the mail servers themselves.

Best wishes,
S Watkins
Steff Watkins    Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD
Systems programmer   Email: s.watkins at nhm.ac.uk
Systems Team    Phone: +44 (0)20 7942 6000 opt 2
========
Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake
in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that
even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have
left the oceans. - HHGTTG