[Mailman-Users] Mailman on non-standard port : Public list notdisplayed on listinfo page

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 22 16:25:46 CEST 2010

Raven Kong wrote:

>I have trouble getting the public list shown on the general listinfo page.
>My mailman is install on a host with port number 8888 (80 is used by another
>service), so the url address is something like
>http://a.b.c:8888/mailman/listinfo. And those list created public is not
>displayed in this overview page.
>I've searched the wiki page and found these articles:
>http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030613 and

Which says:

There are also the following deprecated settings which still exist to
support old mm_cfg.py files, but shouldn't be referenced in current
mm_cfg.py files.

 DEFAULT_HOST_NAME = None
 DEFAULT_URL = None

>http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030592
>And as described in the articles I modified my mm_cfg.py  like this:
>
>MTA = 'Postfix'
>DEFAULT_HOST_NAME = 'a.b.c'
>DEFAULT_URL = 'http://a.b.c'

As noted above, these two settings are deprecated and should not be
used, and in fact override some of the settings below.

>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'a.b.c'
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'a.b.c'
>VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
>DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s:8888/mailman/'
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS =['a.b.c','a.b.c']

If the above two domains are really the same, it's redundant to list it
twice in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS.

>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST,DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>
>Restart my apache, mailman, postfix and then use bin/fix_url to fix the
>exist list,  it doesn't show up in the overview page. Those new list created
>after the modification don't show in the overview page too.
>As my understanding , in the article mentioned above, only when the *
>host_name* and *web_page_url * are identical the list can be shown in the
>mailman/listinfo page.

Not quite. host_name doesn't come into it. if VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW is
on, the host including port in the list's web_page_url must match that
used to access the page for the list to be displayed. Since you set
DEFAULT_URL, your lists' web_page_url attribute is 'http://a.b.c'
rather than 'http:/a.b.c:8888/mailman/'. This will cause other
problems as well in that all URLs generated by Mailman will be wrong.

Remove

DEFAULT_HOST_NAME = 'a.b.c'
DEFAULT_URL = 'http://a.b.c'

from mm_cfg.py, restart Mailman and re-run fix_url.