[Mailman-Users] Replies from non-members getting posted to list setto allow posts by subscribers only

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jun 21 18:25:49 CEST 2010

Anthony R. Thompson wrote:

>I went into the inbox of that account, chiraelx at gmail.com, which is not
>a subscriber, and *replied* to one of the posts it had received when it
>*was* on the list.
>
>I expected to get a rejection notice back since chiraelx at gmail.com isn't
>a subscriber but... the post went through.
>
>I got it at the athompsx at adf.org address, I looked at the headers and it
>was sent From chiraelx at gmail.com with adf-www in the To and Reply-To
>fields, with adf-www-bounces in the sender field.  Further, I confirmed
>it by checking the mbox file for the list.

The archives/private/LIST.mbox/LIST.mbox file will show the original
Sender: header if any, but the original Reply-To: was munged by your
first_strip_reply_to and reply_goes_to_list settings before the
message was archived.

Did you send the reply from gmail web mail or from a mail client. If
from a client, check what it puts in Reply-To: or in any case, send
another test with a Bcc: to your direct address and see what you get
there.

[...]
>So what I'm left with is a non-subscriber, which used to be a
>subscriber, apparently able to post to a list I'm pretty sure is
>configured to only allow posts from subscribers.

If you haven't changed SENDER_HEADERS in mm_cfg.py, the relevant
headers for testing list membership for posts are From: Reply-To:
Sender: and the envelope sender. The original From: and Sender:
headers will be in the message in the
archives/private/LIST.mbox/LIST.mbox file and the envelope sender will
be in the initial "From " separator line in the .mbox, but you can't
see the initial Reply-To: because you mung it.

You could just generate a reply as you did in your two tests, but then
change the To: address from the list to you to see what Reply-To:
header you get.

[...]
>first_strip_reply_to = 1
>reply_goes_to_list = 1