[Mailman-Users] new subscriber pending notification not going out to list admin

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 16 15:58:31 CEST 2010

On 6/15/2010 11:15 AM, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:

> I have a list admin who tells me that sometimes notifications of
> pending subscriptions aren't going out to him. I had reason to doubt
> him, but he has just sent me an example of a pending registration from
> yesterday by jenny_zhaochin@[redacted].com and I had a look in the
> logs:
>
> $ sudo -u mailman ./list_admins midfex
> List: midfex,   Owners: sherwindu@[redacted].net
> $ grep -B 30 -A 30 jenny_zhaochin /var/log/maillog |grep -i sherwin
> $ grep "jenny_zhaochin.*250 ok" /var/log/maillog
> Jun 14 21:42:12 [redacted] postfix/smtp[4475]: C069C4C021: to=<jenny_zhaochin@[redacted].com>, relay=[redacted], delay=1, status=sent (250 ok dirdel)

What is the subscribe_policy for this list? if it is "Confirm", there is
no notice to the admin, just a confirmation to the user until the user
confirms and the owner is perhaps notified of the new member, and if it
is "Confirm and approve" the admin approval isn't sent until after the
user Confirms.

Since the last grep above shows no incoming message, this is apparently
not an email subscribe, so the outgoing message is not a "results of
your email commands" and is apparently the confirmation request sent to
the user. So it seems OK to me.

Aside: If this were a situation where there were "simultaneous" notices
to the user and the owner, as for example, a notice of a held post sent
to the poster and a notice of post needing approval to the owner, the
message to the user and the message to the actual owner could easily be
more that 30 maillog messages apart as the owner's message is first sent
to the list's -owner address and needs to be received by Mailman and
requeued for ultimate sending to the actual owners and moderators.