[Mailman-Users] Settings for reply to all

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jun 15 03:45:33 CEST 2010

Mark Sapiro writes:

 > Yes. Set reply_goes_to_list to Poster so that "reply" goes to the From:
 > or the poster's Reply-To: and "Reply to All" adds the list from the
 > To: or Cc:.

It would be an easy hack to add a PosterAndList option, though.  This
would usually be harmless, and lists where it could be harmful (eg,
closed subscription lists for security or discussion of a law or
medical practice's clients) probably know who they are.

 > I suspect there are MUAs that will include the From: address(es) in
 > dependent on the MUA, and is arguably not the right thing to do.

It is clearly the right thing to do, in the presence of so many
mailing lists that abuse the Reply-To header.  I benefit from it
several times a day.  Cumulative time saving measured in seconds
per day, of course, but my frustration level is perceptibly lower.

Of course the MUA should *also* provide an RFC-conforming
reply-to-all, but that is never useful in my experience.  (Ie, it
works fine for RFC-conforming lists that leave Reply-To strictly
alone, but given the rarity with which authors use Reply-To, it's a
no-op except for reply-to-munging lists.)

YMMV, but for me this is a Toyota Prius vs. Boeing 747 MPG comparison.

N.B. This is a private customization of the Emacs-based VM MUA.  I
don't know offhand of any stock MUAs that do it.