[Mailman-Users] add 'Member Name' in body of welcome email

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 9 05:25:34 CEST 2010

Jeff Johnson wrote:

>Using Mailman v2.1.13
>
>Is it possible to insertt the 'Member Name' within the body of the welcome message?
>
>I haven't been able to find a variable that works, I've tried:
> %(user)s
>%(username)s
>%(user_address)s
>
>These all come through as code, not as the subscriber's full name.

For the most part, the only substitutions that work in any of the .txt
templates are the ones in the default template. There is an exception.
%(user)s works (or should) in the subscribeack.txt welcome message
template, but it receives the user's email address, not the user's
name.

You say you've tried %(user)s in the welcome message. If it didn't get
replaced, as opposed to receiving the email address, I don't know why.

If you can patch the code, you could make %(username)s work by adding

             'username'    : self.getMemberName(),

to the dictionary passed to Utils.maketext() in the definition of the
SendSubscribeAck() method of the Deliverer class in
Mailman/Deliverer.py.