[Mailman-Users] Apache startup warning/error: mailman DocumentRoot?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 2 16:03:59 CEST 2010

Tanstaafl wrote:

>Now, the path is correct, but there is no mailman directory in the
>htdocs folder, so the warning is correct - and, to make matters worse, I
>*do* have this path explicitly set in the
>/etc/apache2/vhosts.d/lists.example.com config file, although I'm not
>sure why now.

And this is exactly why you get the warning.

>Everything works fine...

Because

>ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"

and

>Alias /pipermail/ "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/"

are all you need

>So, my question is, what should the path in
>/etc/apache2/vhosts.d/lists.example.com be pointing to? Where *is* the
>mailman DocumentRoot?

Mailman neither has nor needs a DocumentRoot. Just remove it, and if
you want http://lists.example.com/ to go to a mailman page, add

to /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/lists.example.com instead.

Alternatively, you could create the /var/www/localhost/htdocs/mailman/
directory and put some appropriate index.html file in it.