[Mailman-Users] Auto-approval patch (was: Uncaught runner exception: regular_exclude_lists)

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Wed Jun 2 03:42:35 CEST 2010

Hi all,

Late last year I upgraded Mailman and re-applied the auto-approval patch:

>> It has been implemented on the 2.2 branch which is not yet released, so
>> yes, you need to apply the patch to 2.1.12 if you need the
>> functionality.
>>
>> Also, rather than incrementing Version.DATA_FILE_VERSION further and
>> setting yourself up for this kind of problem again, you could leave it
>> at 97 and run the following (after applying the auto approval patch)
>> to make sure all lists get updated
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> f=`mktemp`
>> echo "mlist.data_version = 96" >$f
>> for list in `/path/to/bin/list_lists --bare`; do
>>   /path/to/bin/config_list -i $f $list
>> done
>> rm $f
>
> Excellent, I applied the patch (had to do some bits manually because of
> indentation changes), ran your script and now everything's working
> perfectly!

And I have now upgraded Mailman again to 2.1.13 and reapplied the
auto-approval patch, however I am not sure whether I need to do anything
with version numbers.  Since the data_version was 97 before the patch,
and now there's new configuration values, should I run the above code or
not?  It looks like the code resets the version back to an old number,
so presumably Mailman upgrades the list when it next accesses it, but
because the list is already at 97 I'm worried that if I reset it back to
96 I might lose some data.

Can anyone let me know what (if anything) I need to do?

Many thanks,
Adam.