[Mailman-Users] Problem regarding creating mailing list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jul 27 17:36:26 CEST 2010

On 7/27/2010 5:27 AM, sandeep kumar wrote:
> 1.While creating a mailing list through command line, the owner of
> the list creator does get any mail regarding creation of mailisg list
> . What is the procedure actually to create the mailing list , does
> the owner requires any privelages .

If you create a list via bin/newlist, the list owner address should
receive an emailed notice provided the '-q' option is not given to
newlist, and provided Mailman (mailmanctl and the qrunners) is running.

If the qrunners are not running, the notice will be queued and will be
sent when Mailman is started.

The list owner is only an email address. Nothing is required of it other
than it be valid. The person running bin/newlist itself must be either
root or a member of Mailman's group.

> 2. While creating mailing list through web interface using
> http://domain name/mailman/create , it asks for list creater password
> , We reset the password of admin and list creator password using
> mmsitepass but the password which is reset is not accepted in the
> interface .

What is the exact error? Are you certain you are giving the creator
password or site admin password exactly as set by mmsitepass?

> Is there any procedure to update passwords or any other way to create
> mailing list

Lists are created either via the web create or bin/newlist.

The site admin and/or list creator passwords are set/changed with
bin/mmsitepass.

List admin and moderator passwords can be set/changed via the list's web
admin interface. List admin passwords can also be changed via bin/change_pw.