[Mailman-Users] Recipient addressrejected:Userunknowninvirtualmailbox table

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jul 11 02:09:32 CEST 2010

franc walter wrote:

>Am Sat, 10 Jul 2010 10:50:59 -0700 schriebst du:
>
>> With the above, all your lists will be mapped to the lists.example2.org
>> domain which must be local.
>
>> lists.example2.org needs to be in my_destination in main.cf and not in
>> virtual_alias_domains or in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS. All the
>> other list email domains need to be in both virtual_alias_domains and
>> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS, and data/virtual-mailman needs to be
>> referenced in virtual_alias_maps.
>
>???
>
>Which "all the other list email domains" ???
>Why to put them to virtual_alias_domains etc. if it is not working?

virtual_alias_maps mappings map an address like
some_address at some.virtual.domain to another address. Your original
virtual-mailman mappings were of the form

list-address at virtual.domain  list-address

This didn't work for you because Postfix assumes that a bare
list-address is in the mydomain domain, but mail to mydomain is being
delivered via the Dovecot LDA which doesn't consult alias_maps, so the
mail to list-address was not piped to Mailman.

I suggested you could try the Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py from the head of
the 2.1 development branch because it can append a domain to the right
hand side of the mappings in virtual-mailman. This domain is set in
mm_cfg.py as VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN. I probably should have
pointed you to the documentation of POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS and
VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN in the branch as well, but I have
attached it here as doc.txt

You chose to set VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN to lists.example2.org.
Given that choice, I told you that you had to configure
lists.example2.org as local in postfix. The other domains,
lists.example1.org, lists.example3.org, lists.example4.org, etc. could
still be Postfix virtual domains and virtual-mailman will map, e.g.

list-address at lists.example1.org  list-address at lists.example2.org

for local delivery.

I would not have set

VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'lists.example2.org'

I probably would have set

VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'localhost'

and left all your lists.examplen.org domains virtual, but you didn't
ask me, You just reported what you'd done and asked me how to fix it
so I suggested the first fix that came to my mind.

Here's a simple view of how this works if properly configured.

For a list in a virtual domain in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS,
Mailman generates virtual-mailman mappings from list addresses in the
virtual domain to local addresses delivered by Postfix' local delivery
(not Dovecot). Postfix' local delivery consults alias_maps including
Mailman's aliases and these map the local addresses to the appropriate
pipe to Mailman.

If this isn't clear to you, perhaps some of the documentation at
<http://de.postfix.org/> will help.