[Mailman-Users] Mailman bounce counters and delivery of spam

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Sun Jan 31 16:12:10 CET 2010

Stephen J. Turnbull a écrit :
> Albert ARIBAUD writes:
>
>  > But is there a way (besides patching and recompiling) to let mailman
>  > know that 5xx (and possibly 4xx as well) rejects which mention spam
>  > should not cause an increase of the bounce counter?
>
> 4xx should be handled at the MTA level by retrying.

You're right--4xx does not increase the bounce counter. That leaves only
the 5xx.

> If I were you, I'd fix the spam problem by improving the spam filters
> in front of Mailman.  Eg, move the list to free.fr, which apparently
> has better spam detection than your Mailman host does.

Well, I can't argue that in this instance free.fr does a better job of
detecting spam than the list, but a) free.fr does not provide mailing
lists beyond the most basic functionality, and b) I'm not in position to
suggest moving the list as I'm not the owner, only a member.

Regarding your suggestion of better spam detection at the earliest
stage, I agree wholeheartedly. But while I might be able to suggest
mailman settings to the list owner, heavier actions such as changing the
spam detection methods in place on the list are out of question.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.