[Mailman-Users] Adding users with cron - permission problems

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 28 02:39:32 CET 2010

Phil Ewels wrote:

>To test, I've been running this cron command:
>
>echo test at testing.co.uk |
>/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/add_members -r - info
>
>Where info is the listname (info at nanotp.org)
>
>I get the following error:
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
[...]
>IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
>'/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/locks/info.lock.hephaestus.safeukdns.net.24247.0'

[...]
>Can anyone suggest a way to get around this problem? Or an alternative
>method of automating signups (they can be totally silent). I have tried
>a similar method using the PHP exec() command to hit the same program
>but had similar permission problems.

These commands must be run by root or a member of Mailman's group. Put
your add_members command (if you can) in the Mailman user's crontab or
a system crontab with the mailman user as it's user.

Another way to do this is to create a SETGID wrapper to run the
commands. See the members.c program attached to the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/uIA9> for an example.