[Mailman-Users] Question on setting up mailman

james Tanit jamestanit at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 24 05:42:25 CET 2010

Hello,

I have a lot of troubles setting up the mailman on a linux box. Please help. I guess these are simple and common
questions, so please help us. Many thanks.

Now, I run the apache webserver under username say, tatac, which is also the group name. I have suexec
configured for apache. Why the following configuration doesn't work? Do I need a DocumentRoot?

I already run the suexec -V

 -D AP_DOC_ROOT="/"
 -D AP_GID_MIN=100
 -D AP_HTTPD_USER="nobody"
 -D AP_LOG_EXEC="/usr/local/apache/logs/suexec_log"
 -D AP_SAFE_PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"
 -D AP_UID_MIN=100
 -D AP_USERDIR_SUFFIX="public_html"

I hate this "nobody" thing, it has given me a lot of troubles already. I just don't want to run under nobody.

mailman directory ownership is tatac:tatac

<VirtualHost  xx.xx.xx.xx:80>
 ServerName      list.tata.com
 ServerAlias     list.tata.com
    <IfModule !mod_disable_suexec.c>
        SuexecUserGroup tatac tatac
    </IfModule>
Alias /mailman/archives /home/mailman/archives/public/
ScriptAlias  /mailman/ /home/mailman/cgi-bin/
<Directory /home/mailman/cgi-bin/>
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Alias /pipermail/ /home/mailman/archives/public/
<Directory /home/mailman/archives/public/>
    Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

 <Directory "/home/mailman/archives/public/">
  AddDefaultCharset off
 </Directory>

</VirtualHost>

Any comments and ideas where went wrong?