[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Fri Jan 22 23:27:33 CET 2010

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 00:42:25 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Mark Sapiro writes:

< snip >

> > Eventually, we'll find out if it works. I suspect it does,

Preliminary testing suggests that it IS working.

>I do too, because larsi is not an idiot.  I have to imagine that like
>99% of messages that get moderated into oblivion are spam.  Gmane
>doesn't want their archives filled with that crap, so they'll archive
>from the moderated stream.

>This is starting to look pretty good, actually.  We can hope that this
>solution will serve John until MM3 goes "gold" (with an NNTP server :-9.

Should I be urgently reading up on "unix" so that I can help out with
the Mailman NNTP server betas ?   :-)

Bye the way, I would strongly suggest to Barry that he consider
contacting Thomas G. Liesner, the guy who wrote Hamster. Hamster
is a windows freeware news/email proxy server

His home page is here http://tglsoft.de/ . An English download page is
http://www.arcorhome.de/newshamster/tgl/misc/hamster_en.html
His address is Thomas G. Liesner <hamster AT tglsoft.de>

This is a top class program that I have been using for over ten years.
Thomas has done a great job and appears to be a very nice guy.
Hamster source code can also be downloaded from the above
link.

I would not be surprised to find out that Thomas has some unix
knowledge and/or knows someone who may have done some work
towards porting it to a unix platform.

Here are some screen shots I did ages ago FWIW.

http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/lservers.jpg
http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/pservers.jpg
http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/fullonm.jpg

Regards, John.