[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 22 02:18:10 CET 2010

John Fitzsimons wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 00:28:57 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>Could you please clarify those words ? " *If* Gmane is in the Sender
>header". The sender header appears to be the list address.

This is all irrelevant. Since the posts from Gmane are arriving via the
NNTP gateway, no membership tests whatsoever are applied to the post -
no list member, no moderation, no *_these_nonmembers.

>There are so many headers I am totally confused as to which ones
>can/should be filtered on and which ones shouldn't be.

You can use header_filter_rules to hold a post from the news gateway.
You can filter on any header you want, but this won't work well unless
you have fery few authorized posters.

>Here are some of the headers as they appear when they arrive at the
>mailing list. Are any of them able to be used in filtering ?

>To: listname at mydomain
>From: John Fitzsimons <me at mydomain>
>Sender: listname-bounces at mydomain
>2010 15:51:24 +1100
>
>As I am an "authorised" poster the sort of filter that would be needed
>that comes to mind would be something like...
>
>DELETE  & ! From: {me at mydomain | member at hisdomain}
>
>But I have no idea how that would need to be implimented in Mailman.

Like the following in Privacy options... -> Spam filters ->
header_filter_rules

First rule:
  regexp: ^from:.*[ >]me at mydomain([> ]|$)
  action: Accept

(either additional rules or additional regexps in the First rule for
additional posters)

Last rule
  regexp: ^X-Injected-Via-Gmane:
  action: Discard

>>then
>>you don't need to do anything special, because From is checked first.
>>Just moderate Gmane,
>
>Just moderate ?  I haven't done that before. Do I need to do more than
>just set the Gmane subscription to "moderate" ?

It won't help. See above.

>>and warn your members that they need to post
>>"From:" their subscribed addresses from Gmane as well as by mail.
>
>Yes, I have already told them that.

[...]
>>(Is that a post received via news?
>
>Yes, ALL headers are received via news ! All my members of this
>list want it that way. They are only interested in posting via a
>newsreader.

They could post to Gmane via NNTP with Gmane sending to your list via
email.

>> If so, it's little help, because
>>the headers should be quite different from a mailed post.)
>
>Okay, see the added info I provided above.

Which contrary to your "Here are some of the headers as they appear
when they arrive at the mailing list." assertion appear to be the
headers from a post delivered from Mailman, not the headers of the
post as it arrived to Mailman.

Note that Mailman has rewritten the Sender: and envelope sender
(reflected as Return-Path:) and added Errors-To: and maybe Reply-To:

[...]
>>If not, and Gmane *isn't* in one of From, Sender, or envelope sender,
>>then I don't understand how posts from unsubscribed addresses via
>>Gmane are getting through, since IIRC you said earlier you have
>>'generic_nonmember_action' set to 'Hold'.  Right?
>
>Sorry, your terminology has confused me here. What do you mean by
>'generic_nonmember_action' set to 'Hold'.  ?

He means the setting near the bottom of the list admin Privacy
options... -> Sender filters page.

>I have setup the list as "Require approval". Is that what you mean ?

That is presumably Privacy options... -> Subscription rules ->
subscribe_policy - not the same thing at all.