[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Thu Jan 21 13:49:56 CET 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:38:23 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>John Fitzsimons writes:

Hi Stephen,

< snip >

>Gmane runs a news server, but that is not how it gateways mailing
>lists.  Mailman's Mail<->News gateway is irrelevant unless you or your
>ISP has configured it; Gmane can't do that for you.

Well, I configured it. Thinking that it needed to be set. Doesn't that
setting do anything ? Or does it only work with some news servers and
not others ? How does one know which news server that works with and
which news server it doesn't work with ?

>The gateway Mailman -> Gmane is the Gmane subscription.  If you remove
>that Gmane users cannot read posts to your mailing list.  The gateway
>Gmane -> Mailman is plain old email same as for any member or spammer.

>The only control you have is to use Mailman filters on incoming posts.

Could you please explain that a little ? In principle how would
filters help ? Wouldn't all posts from Gmane have the same added
headers ? Those that are from legitimate posters and those that
aren't ?

>Until somebody tells us what headers Gmane provides to identify
>itself, we can only guess at what might work.

Well, looking for "gmane" headers on a post gives me something like...

I have no idea how any of that could help filter out posts that aren't
from legitimate subscribers.  :-(

Regards, John.