[Mailman-Users] Archives

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 20 20:56:46 CET 2010

Young, Darren wrote:

>I've enabled archives on a mailing list with the following:
>archive = yes
>archive_private = public
>archive_volume_frequency = Monthly
[...]
>However, in /usr/local/mailman/archives/public there's no directories
>and in the browser I get a URL not found error. I've posted a couple
>messages to the list and they're being delivered to members so how/when
>are the archives created?

There are no archives in /usr/local/mailman/archives/public. The
archives are in /usr/local/mailman/archives/private whether or not
they are public. For a public archive, there is also a symlink from
/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/list to
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/list.

The initial 'empty' archive (just the
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/list/index.html file and the
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/list.mbox/ directory) is created
when the list is created whether or not archiving is enabled.

There is probably some error in archiving resulting in log entries and
shunted messages destined for the archive. What's in Mailman's error
log?