[Mailman-Users] host.domain.tld vs. domain.tld

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Sat Jan 16 18:48:15 CET 2010

On 1/16/10 7:55 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> David Newman wrote:
>
>> On 1/15/10 7:33 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>> My guess is that on the old server, domain.tld was in Postfix's
>>> mydestination so that address at domain.tld was a local address and only
>>> referred to alias_maps and not virtual_alias_maps, whereas on the new
>>> server domain.tld is a virtual_mailbox_domain, thus postfix is looking
>>> in virtual_mailbox_maps for address at domain.tld and not finding it..
>> Curiouser and curiouser.
>>
>> First, thanks, this provided a clue for a fix.
>>
>> Second, both old and new servers used the same postfix main.cf and
>> master.cf files. Both main.cf files had this line:
>>
>> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost
>>
>> which shouldn't have worked since (1) $mydomain wasn't defined anywhere
>> and (2) domain.tld wasn't invoked and (3) mail never was addressed to
>> localhost.$mydomain.
>

> mydomain defaults to myhostname minus the first component. E.g.,
>
> myhostname = mail.example.com => mydomain = example.com.
>
> myhostname has a default which is the value returned by gethostname()
> or `uname -n`

OK, thanks. The 'myhostname' variable is not defined in main.cf, but per
the above it sounds as though it doesn't have to be.

>> On the new server I changed this to:
>>
>> mydomain = domain.tld
>> mydestination = $myhostname, $mydomain, localhost
>

> You still probably want localhost at local_domain in mydestination however
> local_domain is determined because sooner or later some program
> somewhere on your server will mail to that domain.

For clarification, which form do I want in mydestination?

localhost at local_domain (as you wrote)

or

localhost.$mydomain (as formerly in main.cf)

I think you mean the latter, but just checking.

>> and now list mail goes to either <listname>@mail.domain.tld or
>> <listname>domain.tld, as desired.
>>
>> Puzzling, but thanks again.
>

> Was myhostname different on the old server?

No. Both old and new systems use the same hostname.

dn