[Mailman-Users] Adding "subscribed" address in Welcome message ?

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Fri Jan 15 00:16:58 CET 2010

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:25:29 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:

Hi Mark,

< snip >

>In any case, the OP asked for a way to put the subscribed address in
>the message body. Possibly because To: headers may get rewritten or
>not completely displayed.

I was thinking of the situation of re-direction. One could "subscribe"
with eg. fred at work.com and have emails from that account re-directed
to fred at home.com . Even if only after they leave work. I wanted their
subscription address to be more "in their face" so that it would
reduce confusion as to which email address they were subscribed with.

>The answer is that %(user)s in the template (which even cPanel users
>can edit via the admin GUI) will be replaced with the user's email
>address. The complete list of available substitutions for the list
>welcome template is

> 'real_name'   : The list's name
> 'host_name'   : The list's email host name
> 'welcome'     : The list's extra welcome message
> 'umbrella'    : A special notice for members of umbrella lists
> 'emailaddr'   : The list's posting address
> 'listinfo_url': The URL of the list's listinfo page
> 'optionsurl'  : The URL of the members options page (which contains
>                 the members email address)
> 'password'    : The member's password
> 'user'        : The member's case preserved email address

>So, in fact, the member's email address is already in the body of the
>default welcome message, albeit as part of the options URL.

>Note that these substitutions only work in the template itself. They
>don't work in the 'welcome' text added to the template.

That is EXACTLY the info I wanted Mark. Thank you. Your help is
very much appreciated.  :-)

Regards, John.