[Mailman-Users] Help on mass modifying

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 14 17:18:35 CET 2010

giuseppe curto wrote:

>I must start a new list with 7000 users. I have ready a text file wiht one-user-per-line. My problem is: how can I set as default, or change with a line command all users to 'non text mail' ?

First, I think you misunderstand the meaning of the plain vs. MIME user
option. This option only applies to the format of the digest that
digest members receive. It has no meaning for non-digest members.

If you want this setting to default to MIME, set Digest options ->
mime_is_default_digest to MIME before adding the users.

If you really want to set this to MIME for all users after the fact,
see the script at <http://www.msapiro.net/scripts/set_nodups.py> and
change the line

        mlist.setMemberOption(member, mm_cfg.DontReceiveDuplicates, 1)

in that script to

        mlist.setMemberOption(member, mm_cfg.DisableMime, 0)

On the other hand, if your issue is that you are sending HTML posts to
the list and the non-digest members are receiving plain text, this is
due to the list's content filtering settings and has nothing to do
with plain vs. MIME. The default content filtering will remove HTML
and send only the text/plain part from a multipart/alternative message.