[Mailman-Users] Error Sending to newly created list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 13 01:47:27 CET 2010

On 1/12/2010 10:28 AM, Robert Cannon wrote:
> Hello All, I am very new to the mailman system, I have recently taken
> over a client that uses this and has approx 10,000 email addresses in
> it. I have receive a request to create new list which I was able to
> successfully, and have added myself to the list and received the
> subscribe email. However when I send an email to the list I receive
> the error "User unknown in local recipient table ##". All other list
> are working fine its just the newly created one, any help you could
> provide me would be great.

You need to install a set of aliases for your new list. If you created
the list with bin/newlist, it should have reported the required aliases.

If you created the list via the web, the required aliases were emailed
to mailman-owner at ... which should have been delivered to the owner of
the 'mailman' site list.

This assumes that the default MTA='Manual' has not been overridden in
mm_cfg.py. If it has been, then whatever programmatic process that
handles aliases or delivery to Mailman without aliases is not working.