[Mailman-Users] many "Subscription disabled" messages after movinglist to new server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 13 01:12:36 CET 2010

On 1/12/2010 3:38 PM, Andrew Watson wrote:
> The bounce notices I get look legitimate. They typically include
> something like:
>
> Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address
>  Diagnostic code: smtp;550 <albert at cvc.uab.es
> <mailto:albert at cvc.uab.es>>... User unknown

In that case, they are probably real, legitimate bounces of bad
addresses. The hard failures have probably all been disabled by now.

> Mailman's smtp-failure log contains many instances of lines like this
> (edited, vsadmin at mysite.com <mailto:vsadmin at mysite.com> is the list
> administrator)
>
> Jan 12 20:48:44 2010 (70977) Low level smtp error: Connection
> unexpectedly closed, msgid:
> <mailman.1063.1263328366.70976.visionlist at mysite.com <http://mysite.com> >
> Jan 12 20:48:45 2010 (70977) delivery to vsadmin at mysite.com
> <http://mysite.com> failed with code -1: Connection unexpectedly closed
>
> There are also a few like this:
>
> Jan 12 20:02:54 2010 (70977) Low level smtp error: (48, 'Address already
> in use'), msgid: <mailman.561.1263325634.70976.visionlist at mysite.com
> <http://mysite.com> >
> Jan 12 20:02:54 2010 (70977) delivery to visionlist-owner at mysite.com
> <http://mysite.com> failed with code -1: (48, 'Address already in use')
>

> These log messages commenced on Jan 12 (today).

If they only started today, I don't know what the issue might be. There
is a bug in the Python email library that can cause problems if you have
a lot of bad addresses. See <http://bugs.python.org/issue5713>.

But that shouldn't be the issue here. I don't have a clue what the
'Address already in use' message means. Check your MTA's logs. Also see
the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/-IA9>.