[Mailman-Users] Question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 11 16:04:14 CET 2010

Gayle Laible wrote:

>I want to start a newsletter and I see your logo at the bottom of
>several things I get.  I have a Max OSX Version 10.5.8.  It is an
>older laptop that I have updated several times.  It does not have an
>Intel processor...  Can I download and use Mailman on my Mac?

As long as it is Mac OS X, it is possible, even with a non-Intel
processor. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/O4A9>.

Also see the installation manual at
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/index.html> for an idea of what's
involved.

In general you also need a fixed IP address with a domain name and
proper reverse DNS in order to be able to reliably send mail. However,
if you are using this for an outgoing newsletter only, it is possible
to set up and use Mailman without a web server and without incoming
mail and with outgoing mail going through your ISP, although the ISP
may limit how much mail you can send. In this environment, you would
have to interact with Mailman entirely via 'terminal', and it would
probably be just as easy to send your newsletter as an ordinary email
with Bcc: to the recipients.