[Mailman-Users] Removing archives query.

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Sun Jan 10 16:42:58 CET 2010

On Sunday 10 January 2010, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> snip
>
> I should explain why I believe *this* feature doesn't really benefit
> Mailman itself.  It requires destroying data, on behalf of people who
> almost by definition don't know exactly what they're doing.  In some
> cases, doing this properly would require ensuring a fresh backup
> before removing that data, and that is something that the host
> administrator must do, and he should provide advice to the (naive)
> user before it is done.

Respectively disagree. Even end users of a mailing list can download
Gzip'd copies of the archives. The list owner can turn archiving off and
the domain administrator (cPanel end user) can *delete* the entire list
if they desire. What none of these people can do is simply edit the
archives. Spam, blocks of older posts when the plan runs out of space,
even Aunt Bee's secret pickle recipe all must await support at the
hosting company to remove.

Personally know more list owners I would trust with this task than level 1
support personal.

Also believe this feature would be usefull for list owners of any flavor
of Mailman. Guessing (hoping) cPanel would jump at the chance to pass it
to their customers. Reducing support requests is also a good thing:)

> snip
> Now the legal obligation of cPanel is nil, and the ethical obligation
> is in some sense moot (we knew about this when we chose to contribute
> to a GPLed project).  But since *we* *are* going try to help cPanel
> users who show up here, it would be really nice to have access to a
> reasonably fresh copy of those sources.  They *must* come from a
> cPanel customer; the GPL does not permit us to just go out and grab
> them.
>
> That is something he may be able to do for us, if he wants to.

If John F. has no luck with his hosting provider I will try mine.
--
William