[Mailman-Users] Archives Index Page Blank

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 8 06:28:13 CET 2010

Brian Carpenter wrote:

>I think I figured out what the problem is. cPanel in its latest release is
>now calculating the disk space used by an account's mailing list(s). The
>error message I found regarding this particular user was "disk quoted
>exceeded" messages. The problem here is this particular user is only using
>60% of his allotted disk space. That seems to be a problem with cPanel's
>implementation of this new feature.
>
>What seems to be a bug in mailman however is the nulling out of the
>index.html page when this particular error occurs. Here is the complete
>error message in the error log:

Mailman can't control this. Mailman opens the file for output in order
to write the new index. This sets the file size to zero. It then
writes the file which writes are buffered and finally closes the file
resulting in a physical write attempt to the disk which is denied by
the OS for Disk quota exceeded which leaves the file at zero size.

If there is a bug anywhere (besides the obvious one of wrongly thinking
the user is over quota), it is the OS allowing the file to be
truncated when it thinks the user is over quota and therefore won't
allow the actual write. I.e. the OS could disallow the open for output
when it thinks the user is over quota, but Mailman doesn't know
anything about this. It just does what any process would do to open a
file for output and write its new contents until the OS shoots it down.

>Jan 07 17:19:06 2010 (7341) Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line
>120, in _oneloop
>    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
>  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line
>191, in _onefile
>    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
>  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Queue/ArchRunner.py",
>line 73, in _dispose
>    mlist.ArchiveMail(msg)
>  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py",
>line 216, in ArchiveMail
>    h.processUnixMailbox(f)
>  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py",
>line 580, in processUnixMailbox
>    self.add_article(a)
>  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py",
>line 621, in add_article
>    filename))
>  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py",
>line 1119, in write_article
>    f.close()
>IOError: [Errno 122] Disk quota exceeded

Actually, this traceback is not from truncating the TOC. This is a
failure to write the article html file. This time it didn't get as far
as trying to update the TOC. It appears that a prior attempt succeeded
in writing an article, but writing the TOC failed, but that seems
really strange since I would think that could happen at most once to
one TOC before article writes started failing as above.