[Mailman-Users] List is too moderated. :-(

J.R. Constance jrc at clshost.com
Fri Jan 8 00:00:12 CET 2010

On Jan 7, 2010, at 5:21 PM, John Fitzsimons wrote:

> Well, not everyone is a unix expert. I need to use CPanel.

As do I. I have over 30 Mailman lists running on several different domains using CPanel.

> I have list membership set at "Require approval" but once someone has
> become a subscriber I want their emails to go to the list without my
> getting an email that says...

You have the correct setting for this.

> As list administrator, your authorization is requested for the
> following mailing list posting:
>
>    List:    xxxx
>    From:    xxxxxx
>    Subject: xxxxxxx
>    Reason:  Posting to a moderated newsgroup
>
> At your convenience, visit:.....
>
> Does anyone here know how to let subscribers post without getting that
> notice please ? Using CPanel.
>
> I am beginning to think that my setting the list to "moderated" means
> that even subscribers are moderated. That isn't what I wanted.

But that's what Moderation does.

> If I set the list to un-moderated then will non members be able to
> post ? If non members will NOT be able to post then where on
> CPanel can I change things to un-moderated please ?

Individuals who are not subscribed to the list will not be able to post to the list without approval. For anyone who is not a current subscriber you (or the moderator) will receive a Request for approval like the one you listed above, and you can take appropriate action.

Here's what you need to do.

1.  Under Privacy Options -> Sender Filters , where it says:

By default, should new list member postings be moderated?

Change the setting back to "No", then click on the "Submit Your Changes" button at the bottom of the page.

2.  Go to Membership Management. If  you look at the column that says "mod", all of the boxes are probably checked. So, at the bottom of the page, where it says:

Set everyone's moderation bit, including those members not currently visible

Change that to "Off" and then click "Set"

Alternatively, you could leave Privacy Options in place, so that every new subscriber is automatically set to be moderated, and then you can do step 2 to remove the moderation later.

Hope that helps.

J.R.

J.R. Constance
Rodric Consulting, LLC