[Mailman-Users] duplicate messages

Ryan Stasel rstasel at uoregon.edu
Tue Jan 5 18:25:58 CET 2010

Adam,

My bad, as I realized it wasn't an MTA, but was caught up reading something else when I was typing. However, this doesn't change the fact that previously, Cyrus did duplicate suppression, and Dovecot does not... which is why this worked when my imap/pop server was Cyrus, and now I get duplicates with Dovecot.

I'm not sure postfix (the MTA) should be doing the duplicate suppression. But looking around online, it seems like there is a very large argument that goes something like: "Dovecot should do it" -> "It's not dovecot's problem, it's the maillist software" -> "MTA should do it" -> "Dovecot should do it". -> Rinse, Repeat. Oh, and some argue something like procmail/sieve should do it.

Given all that, dovecot probably shouldn't do duplicate suppression. Needless, though, there's still seemingly no good answer for those that use Dovecot for imap/pop.

BTW, this is the closest I can find: http://wiki.dovecot.org/MTA

-Ryan Stasel