[Mailman-Users] Mailman < > forum ?

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Mon Jan 4 02:26:57 CET 2010

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 23:56:19 -0600, Brad Knowles wrote:

>On Dec 21, 2009, at 1:49 AM, John Fitzsimons wrote:

Hi Brad,

>> Are there currently *any* web forum(s) that enable forum/mailman
>> mirroring ? In other words a Mailman email going to a web forum and
>> vica versa ?

>Search the FAQ wizard for "web forum".  You should find a link to an article that talks about Joomla.  That's the best integration I know of, although I'm sure there are others.

Found it. Thanks. Backupcentral suggests that their bridge works BUT
I don't know whether it will work with Mailman 2.1.11 PLUS Joomla 1.5
PLUS phpBB3.

My hosting server only allows me three databases so I don't want to
install Joomla, and phpBB3, (using maybe two databases) and then
find out that everything will not work together.

They have a mailing list called "testy" for it but when I asked a few
questions I got a partial answer from only one person. There are a
number of unanswered questions I still have.

These are really VERY basic questions. For example, what files go in
what directories ? Does it matter how deep the directories are etc. ?
Does one need shell access ?

They say...

"1. Install the component via standard install procedures."

What are "standard install procedures" ? For windows users that
is simply double clicking an .exe file. What does that mean when
translated to unix ? If it is as simple as FTPing files then why not
say so ? Then tell people where they need to go.

They then say "Point your admin browser to Components..." What's an
admin browser ? Is that any different than a web browser ? Or are they
talking about a telnet connection ?

It is interesting how that site talks about an email to web forum
bridge but they discuss it in a mailing list only. If the bridge works
then I appear to have missed where the testy web forum address is.

Also, why Joomla ? Previous software bridges that I have investigated
have been from Mailman to phpBB2. No mention of Joomla being
needed.

So why the above comments ? So that people on this list, who aren't
unix experts, can think twice before they try to install a product
that probably doesn't work with current installations and has almost
zero support.

>> I believe that something like this could work with phpbb2 but not the
>> current release. Can anyone help please ?

>I'm not personally aware of anything, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

I am still looking. :-(

A pity, as it would have hugely increased the popularity of Mailman
had it worked. There are many web forums around. Adding an email
list to them would make them/Mailman far more popular.

Regards, John.