[Mailman-Users] Specific geographical membership in the maillist; Folkemusiklisten

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Feb 24 07:55:59 CET 2010

Mark Sapiro writes:
 > On 2/22/2010 5:37 AM, Martin Ibsgaard wrote:
 > >
 > > I have a question from a subscriber, who asks if it’s a possibility to
 > > narrow her receiving mails down to a specific geographical area.
 > >
 > > She just wants to receive mails on Folkemusiklisten (typical mails about
 > > upcoming shows and concerts) from the area where she lives.
 >
 > You might be able to use Mailman's Topics feature for this if the area
 > is mentioned in the Subject: of the post or in a Keywords: line at the
 > beginning of the body. Otherwise, there is no way.

Another alternative would be to have separate lists for each local area,
and have those lists also feed into regional lists or a national list.

Which way to go depends on how much manpower you have.  Mark's
suggestion is way less demanding on administration, about equally
flexible in terms of configuration, and requires somewhat more effort
from the subscribers.