[Mailman-Users] Warning: I/O Error While Trying To Byte-Compile

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 23 18:15:25 CET 2010

Beyer, Clay wrote:

>Have successfully set up a Debian server and installed and configured
>Postfix and have been trying to integrate Mailman. I am receiving the
>following errors during the apt-get install mailman process:
>

>Warning: I/O Error While Trying To Byte-Compile
>/usr/lib/mailman/bin/qmail-to-mailman.py (2): No such file or directory
>
>Warning: I/O Error While Trying To Byte-Compile
>/usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py (2): No such file or
>directory

You clearly don't need qmail-to-mailman.py, and while Debian seems to
like postfix-to-mailman.py (which is not distributed even as
contributed source by the GNU Mailman project), I don't recommend it.

>Again, this is happening during install and it seems like the install is
>failing or not completing properly. I have tried uninstalling and
>reinstalling but continue to receive the same I/O errors. Can anyone
>assist?

This is a Debian packaging issue. If you wish to install Debian's
Mailman package, you'll have to take this up with Debian.

If you download and install the 2.1.13 tarball from
<https://launchpad.net/mailman/2.1/2.1.13> or
<http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mailman/>, it will be less convenient, but we
can help you with any installation issues.