[Mailman-Users] Question about pipermail archive threading.

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Feb 21 11:43:22 CET 2010

Mark Sapiro writes:

 > My question is the above logic implies that if the current message has
 > an In-Reply-To and the replied to message is not in the archive, the
 > message won't be threaded even if it has a References: to a message in
 > the archive.

That's surely wrong.

 > This occurs often. A posts; B replies off list to A; A replies to B and
 > Cc's the list. Should A's reply to B be threaded with A's original
 > post? I think it should, and it can be by References or even Subject,
 > but I wonder if I'm overlooking some other cases in which it shouldn't
 > be done.

The only time I can think of where I wouldn't want you to thread by
References if available is in case of thread hijacking, but that's
obviously not something current technology can deal with.

In the case of subject, I can think of many reasons why I wouldn't
want threading by subject, but they're not as strong as the advantages
to threading by subject if nothing else is available.

BTW, IMHO the definitive word on threading algorithms is still Jamie
Zawinski's:  http://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html.