[Mailman-Users] Delivery to SMTP server very slow

Stefan Foerster cite+mailman-users at incertum.net
Sat Feb 20 21:56:07 CET 2010

* Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>:
> Does this delay occur uniformly over the entire list, or only within
> some group of recipients?

It occurs for all recipients, more or less - sometimes, it gets about
5 recipients done per second, but that's still far too slow.

> You could try running OutgoingRunner with Python's trace module
> <http://docs.python.org/library/trace.html#command-line-usage>, e.g.
>
> python -m trace [trace opts] bin/qrunner --runner=OutgoingRunner:0:1
>
> To do this, you'd probably want to stop OutgoingRunner(s), post to the
> list and then stop Mailman so you have only the one message to this list
> in the out/ queue, and then run the trace as above, but I would only do
> this as a last ditch effort, because I'm not sure it would be helpful.

I fear I've got a decision to make here: To "fix" that problem, I'd
normally simply export the recipient list and recreate the mailing
list thereafter. But since we don't know what causes this behaviour, I
can't be sure that my backups include all files I need to recreate
that problem on a different machine for debugging purposes.

So, if you are personally interested in this, I would talk to a lawyer
to find a way how I can legally provide you with a copy of every file
that is in any way related to this list.

If you are not _that_ interested, I'd just go ahead and wipe that
list (and cross fingers).

Thank you for your time and your insightful comments.

Stefan