[Mailman-Users] delivery failed with code -1: (4, 'Interrupted system call)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 17 16:25:27 CET 2010

Peet Grobler wrote:

>What exactly does the message in the subject mean? This is for messages
>delivered via SMTPDirect to local users on the machine itself. I don't
>see any remote addresses in smtp-failure for this domain.

This message comes from the Python smtplib module and it means smtplib
was waiting for a response from the MTA and received something
(4,'Interrupted system call) that didn't begin with three digits.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/-IA9> for info on debugging the
"delivery failed with code -1" errors.

>Also - my out/ queue keeps filling up at times. I'm not sure if this is
>related. I'm using exim as MTA and configured everything according to
>the installation docs.
>
>Can anyone tell me exactly what happens with messages in the out/ queue?
>Is it delivered serially to the MTA by the Outqueuerunner, and with a
>failure there's a retry time of several minutes? I'm trying to get my
>head around this to understand mailman better.

OutgoingRunner processes the out queue FIFO. If it encounters error
cause the message to be placed in the retry queue. RetryRunner will
requeue the message at 15 minute intervals for up to 5 days.