[Mailman-Users] A non-text attachment was scrubbed...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 16 17:38:32 CET 2010

Heather Williams wrote:

>I have a client that uses your software. One of their members on their
>list serve is getting this error message in his emails from the list
>serve and is unable to open the attachments. No other member is getting
>this. Can you please help me to resolve this issue for them.

This is not an error message. It is a normal message  that occurs with
non-plain text attachments and plain text format digests. The
non-plain text attachment is removed and stored in the list's archive
and is replaced with the 'scrubbed' notice and a link to the stored
attachment.

There are multiple possibilities as to why the link doesn't open the
attachment. The archives may be private in which case the link goes to
a login page and the user can't get the attachment without logging in,
or the user's browser doesn't know how to open the file type.

If the user wants to receive the attachments in email from the list,
she can switch from digests to messages or swithch from the 'plain'
digest to the 'MIME' digest.