[Mailman-Users] Forcing users to enter real name in listinfo pagesubscribe

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 14 21:06:05 CET 2010

Hank van Cleef wrote:

>I'm changing one of my mail lists in preparation for moving it to
>another host which will be running Mailman with unmodified Python code
>underlying.  One of my changes is to replace a custom listinfo page
>which routes subscription requests outside Mailman to the standard
>Mailman confirm-and-approve form.  We will be able to run with a
>customized listinfo.html page.
>
>The template listinfo.html line for entering the applicant's real name
>is:
>
>We would like to make that mandatory.  I can remove the (optional)
>from the HTML, but is there a way in the HTML to make Mailman reject a
>blank response?

Assuming you need to do this in the listinfo.html template and not in
the Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py module that processes the form, You would
need to create a template that uses scripting (javascript) to require
that the real name entry be non-empty or pass other tests before
posting the form.

The difficulty with this is you cannot install or edit such a template
through the list admin "Edit the public HTML pages and text files"
function because the protections against XSS attacks won't allow
templates with scripting to be installed this way. Thus, you'd have to
install the template per the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/jYA9>.