[Mailman-Users] alias not updating

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Wed Feb 3 17:00:30 CET 2010

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Dan Brita wrote:

> I have a new installation of Mailman 2.1.12 running on Ubuntu with
> Postfix. When I create a list, it does not update my /etc/aliases file.
> It does update the /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases file.

This is expected behaviour.

> This causes
> Postfix to reject any email sent to the list. What have I done wrong in
> configuring this server?

You haven't told Postfix about /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.  Do this
like so?

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,
   hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

and you'll probably want

virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual,
         hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

It looks like you've done much of the rest that you need to do, as the
alias file is in fact being updated.

In my personal experience, you may find yourself missing important steps
when installing Mailman from packages.  It wasn't until I needed to
install from sources that I actually read the installation instructions
from cover to cover, and realised I'd missed a few crucial (or at least
advisable) steps.  So you might want to read
http://list.org/mailman-install/

Cheers,
Geoff.