[Mailman-Users] Exim "Virtual Domains" and Mailman

Olivier Parisy olivier.parisy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 22:22:04 CET 2010

Hi,

I have been using a Debian-based mailman installation for some time now,
administering a few lists, all hosted on xxx.tld. Everything worked fine.

I recently modified the underlying Exim 4 configuration to support
"virtual domains", namely xxx.tld, yyy.tld and zzz.tld. I used a typical
setup for this purpose (see
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/140 for an example).

On this occasion, I added a generic "*" rule to each domain. As an
example, here is the content of a virtual domain file
(/etc/exim4/virtual/xxx.tld):
webmaster : webmaster at localhost
* : postmaster at localhost

Once this modification was performed (and tested; things work fine on
the Exim side), my xxx.tld - based mailing lists stopped working. More
specifically, all messages sent to the lists are delivered to
postmaster at xxx.tld. Here is the (abridged) header of such a message:

From: Olivier Parisy<olivier.parisy at gmail.com>
To: mylist at xxx.tld

Clearly, the "*" rule is taking precedence on mailman delivery, which do not even seem to get the message.

The only workaround I found is to add lines such as "mylist : mylist" to the /etc/exim4/virtual/xxx.tld file (one by mailing list). This is inconvenient to say the least.

Is there any way to keep an "*" rule without breaking mailan distribution? I understand this is as much an Exim 4 as a mailman question...

Regards,
Olivier Parisy.