[Mailman-Users] Bug: couldn't subscribe to dev list by simplyreplying

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Mon Feb 1 21:53:46 CET 2010

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> There are two ways this works in general. If the site's
> VERP_CONFIRMATIONS setting is No (the default) the confirmation is
> From: listname-request at ... with Subject: confirm <token>, and the
> reply is to the listname-request at ... address with the confirm command
> possibly preceded by Re: in the Subject:. This works.

This is what I've seen in the past.

> If the site's VERP_CONFIRMATIONS setting is Yes as it is at python.org,
> the confirmation is From: listname-confirm+<token>@... with Subject:
> Your confirmation is required to join the listname mailing list, and
> the reply is to listname-confirm+<token>@... and this should work too.

But it didn't.  I don't remember having problems signing up to this list,
but that was 4 months ago so I don't really remember.

At any rate, the confirmation message text is incorrect for this
configuration.

> If you received a reply that your message Subject was ignored, either

Actually, to be precise, it said that it was "unprocessed".

> the To: address didn't match VERP_CONFIRM_REGEXP or the reply wasn't
> sent to the -confirm address, or the site's MTA doesn't correctly
> deliver mail addressed to listname-confirm+<token>@... . I don't think
> it's the third alternative in this case.

Well I still have the message I sent: