[Mailman-Users] Administrative actions extremely slow

Brian J Mingus brian.mingus at Colorado.EDU
Wed Dec 22 22:07:23 CET 2010

I am moderating a list with 4200 members. Clicking on any link is extremely
slow. I have asked that our server be upgraded, but I was told that the
problem is with the mailman software. They claim that every time I try to
perform any action mailman scans through every user. I have no ability to
verify the validity of this claim as I don't have access to the server.

I desperately need a fix to this problem. I just clicked on the link to the
admin interface and it took 19 seconds. That's partly due to the fact that I
just let three mails through, so the server is sending 12,000 e-mails. But
even when it's not sending e-mails it takes at least 10 seconds. Given the
simplicity of the admin interfaces it ought to be lightning fast.

Due to the slowness of the mailman interface I can no longer afford to send
custom reject messages - I just discard all mails that I don't want to get
through. I consider this to be rude to those subscribers who sent their
e-mail in good faith even though it was not topical.

Please let me know if you can think of a fix or troubleshooting steps for me
to recommend.

- Brian