[Mailman-Users] User unknown in virtual mailbox table

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Dec 18 04:13:47 CET 2010

On 12/16/2010 7:16 AM, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> I created a list from the admin interface, not from CLI. I administator of
> that list do not get the list creation notification & I found these messages
> in /var/log/mailman/smtp-failure
>
> Dec 16 13:49:13 2010 (26989) All recipients refused:
> {'umarzuki at mydomain.com.my': (550, '5.1.0 <test02-bounces at mydomain.com.my>:
> Sender
> address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table')}, msgid:
> <mailman.0.1292478551.30057.test02 at mydomain.com.my>
> Dec 16 13:49:13 2010 (26989) delivery to umarzuki at mydomain.com.my failed
> with
> code 550: 5.1.0 <test02-bounces at mydomain.com.my>: Sender address rejected:
> User
> unknown in virtual mailbox table
>
> # cat /var/log/maillog | grep test02
> Dec 16 13:49:13 hpj-mail postfix/smtpd[30059]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
> localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]: 550 5.1.0 <test02-bounces at mydomain.com.my
>> :
> Sender address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table;
> from=<test02-bounces at mydomain.com.my> to=<umarzuki at mydomain.com.my>
> proto=ESMTP
> helo=<mail.mydomain.com.my>
>
> This installation in on centos 5.5
>
> What should I do next so I can send and receive email to this list (test02)?

You did not receive the list created notice because your Postfix is
doing sender verification and You have not (properly) configured
Mailman/Postfix configuration for automatic generation of list aliases
and virtual alias maps at list creation time, so the virtual_alias_maps
entry for test02-bounces at mydomain.com.my did not exist at the time the
mail was sent.

See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html>, in particular
subsections 6.1.1 and 6.1.2.

Also see the first several posts in the thread at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2010-December/070671.html>
for a discussion of another aspect of this issue.