[Mailman-Users] Mailman list sends but doesn't receive mail.

JRC Groups joemailgroups at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 07:11:49 CET 2010

Hi, Mark.

On 12/10/10 8:33 AM, "Mark Sapiro" <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> JRC Groups wrote:
>>
>> I have created two additional lists for a total of three that I created plus
>> one that Apple's own Server Admin requires (a list named Mailman). Using the
>> web interface to check the lists hosted by my domain I find conflicting
>> results. This is what I have:

>> List                        Description
>> List 1                      [no description available]
>> List 2                      [no description available]

>> List                        Description
>> List 3                      [no description available]
>> List 4                      [no description available]
>>
>> Shouldn't both www.domain.com and domain.com lead to the same results ? How
>> can I make the necessary corrections so that both addresses are
>> interchangeable and lead to the same results ?
>

> See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/lYA9>. In your case, the short
> answer is put
>
> VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off
>
> in mm_cfg.py.

I did just as you recommended but it didn't change the behavior displayed by
the listinfo command.

>> As I made an attempt to create lists using the Mailman's web interface
>> instead of Apple's Server Admin I couldn't get it done. Mailman kept
>> returning an error message stating I didn't have permission to create lists.
>> I tried numerous different passwords including the admin password for my
>> server but it wouldn't work.
>

> There are only two passwords that work for the Mailman web create
> interface. Neither is set by default. These are the Mailman site
> password (which is like a super list admin password) and the Mailman
> list creator password.
>
> set the site password with
>
> sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/mmsitepass password
>
> and set the list creator password with
>
> sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/mmsitepass -c password
>
> See
>
> sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/mmsitepass --help
>
> Note that if you have a site password, you don't need a list creator
> password unless you want to give the ability to create lists to
> someone who doesn't have the site password, and setting a list creator
> password the same as the site password is superfluous.

It worked just as you had recommended. I was able to assign new site and
list creator passwords. I haven't yet had the opportunity to test it as I am
first trying to get the problem above resolved before I make attempts to
create other lists.

One thing I noticed is that I can create lists under
www.domain.com/mailman/create or domain.com/mailman/create. Each takes me to