[Mailman-Users] Pruning archived messages

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 10 05:53:00 CET 2010

Rick Morrison wrote:

>I've been asked to restrict our group's Mailman list to showing only the
>last six months of archives. Is there any way to remove archived messages
>older than a certain date and reflect that removal in the archive header's
>"index.html" file?

Edit the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file to remove
all the older messages. If you don't care about keeping the older
messages at all, just edit the file in place and then run Mailman's

bin/arch --wipe listname

to rebuild the archive. If you do want to keep the old messages, There
are multiple ways to proceed. I suggest keeping
archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox as the full archive and
saving the pruned file as say
archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox.recent and then
rebuilding the archive with

bin/arch --wipe listname
archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox.recent

(all on one line)